Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS+ Dust It: Review & How To

My summer hair routine has been pretty lax. I haven't been styling my hair much, just shampooing and air drying. It's just too stinkin' hot in Florida! Ponytails have save me from being a (complete) sweaty mess because wearing my hair down is unbearable most days. The down side of the ponytail is that without going to great lengths to add volume, my hair is completely flat. Back combing (or teasing) is too much effort, especially when it's hot inside too! I just want to throw my hair up and be done.

Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS+ Dust It Texture Mattifying Powder

I received a complementary Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS+ Dust It in my Spring VoxBox from Influenster. I've been using it to give my hair volume without all the effort typically associated with adding fullness. Keep reading and I'll share with you exactly how I use it, as well as some before and after comparison pictures. 


Pros/Cons: 
Pros:
  • Easy volume.
    • Dust in. Ruffle up. Done. 
  • Apply it where you want.
    • Tap it onto your hand and work it in or tap the bottle directly onto your hair near your scalp. 
  • Adds texture to hair. 
    • Powder feels tacky which gives hair texture. 
    • Great for fine, silky hair (like mine).
    • Helps to hold a style (up-do) in place.
  • Small packaging. 
    • Convenient for carrying it in purse.
    • Great size for traveling.
  • Use on wet or dry hair.
    • I've used it both ways, and it works both ways!

Cons:
  • Product dispensing is just so-so.
    • It's inconsistent in how much powder comes out. 
      • Sometimes too much and other times not enough. 
  • Don't care for the smell.
    • However, once it's in my hair I don't notice it.
  • If you use too much, hair can look... ehh.
    • This is true with most products, but still needs to be said!
  • I keep pulling my hair.
    • My fingers get sticky from the product and pull at my hair.
    • I just gotta accept this. The product is adding texture, thus volume. It is what it is! 


How I Use OSiS+ Dust It:
Dry:
I usually wear my hair parted on the side, leaving that area lacking in volume. I've found that Dust It helps to provide that volume with minimal effort. For the purpose of the pictures, I've applied the powder to both sides of the part, but I'd normally just apply it to the side that has less hair.

Left to Right: Before and After using OSiS+ Dust It. It really added volume to the side of my part.

When I wear my hair up in a ponytail, I like to apply Dust It to both sides of my head to make sure I have even volume when my hair is pulled back.

I use OSiS+ Dust It and a hair elastic for this ponytail. No teasing or pins.
The second picture is used to illustrate the volume is really added in the first picture.


How I Apply to Dry Hair:
  1. I section off and lift hair where I want to add volume (I like to start in the part area and work downward).
  2. Hold container against the base of the hair immediately below the section that's lifted. 
  3. Lightly tap the container until a small amount of powder comes out (you don't want, or need, too much!) 
  4. Set the bottle down and rub the powder into your roots with your finger tips. 
  5. Continue sectioning off other areas of hair until you've reached your desired volume.
Dust it on and work the texturizing, mattifying powder in.


Wet:
I've been using Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo and Conditioner. After lightly towel blotting, I apply Redken Fresh Curls Curl Refiner to my "ponytail" (what would hang past the elastic). I then brush through my hair to get out all the tangles. Next, tap out OSiS+ Dust It into my fingertips and work it into my root area. After that, I usually clip it up and allow it to air dry. 

Once my hair is dry I can style it however I choose. My roots have added volume with little effort at all. It's just like applying another product... because that's what it is!  

OSiS+ Dust It applied to wet hair and air dried.



Have any of you used Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS+ Dust It? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it and how you use it. 
Or...
Let me know in the comments what products you like to use for extra volumes!


12 comments:

  1. My hair is so flat too! I should look into this product because my hair gets so flat and boring.

    http://www.reviewsuntilyoudrop.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Nikki!! This is a really great product for adding volume!! Love it!! <3

    Kendra

    www.beautybykendrac.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying using it! I'm so glad I had the chance to try it because seeing it first hand made me a believer.

      Delete
  3. Great review dear! I've attempted the dry shampoo when the fad was high, and I have to say I didn't enjoy it when I used it. Maybe I will give this product a shot though and see what the results will be!

    <3 Pauline, Addicted to Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't exactly put this in the dry shampoo category. This would be used to add texture to the hair for volume rather than to absorb/ dry up oils like a traditional dry shampoo.
      As for dry shampoos, I like Bed Head Rockstar.

      Delete
  4. great review!!

    xx

    http://spoonfulofdiamonds.com
    http://www.facebook.com/SpoonfulOfDiamonds

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this stuff! I didn't know you could use it on wet hair though! Great review. (sorry I've been so behind on reading your blog, I've been soo busy).

    Making It Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't say on the packaging to use it on wet hair, but after using it on dry hair a few times I thought it could work either way so I tried it and was very happy with the results.

      And no worries! I've missed reading your blog, but I understand how things get. It's nice to see your face (does that make sense?) again :)

      Delete
  6. Great review! I've been looking for some more great volumizers lately because my hair is super thick and unfortunately the thickness weighs it down and makes my hair look flat. I use Tresemme dry shampoo for volume as well as Got2b volumizing styling powder. They both work well but I'm always looking to try something new. Thanks for the detailed review!!

    xo, Sarah
    http://www.hustlababy09.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you mentioned the Got2B powder, I heard someone on youtube (I can't remember who) say that the Got2B powder is made by Schwarzkopf (who makes this dust it powder). I just checked it out and they do, so maybe the powders are similar.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.