Friday, April 19, 2013

DIY: Colored Bobby Pins!

Have you been noticing colored bobby pins and hair clips a lot recently? I feel like I've been seeing them everywhere. Painted hair accessories is not a new concept; in fact, I still have a few hand painted clips from my childhood. I love my mismatched assortment of colorful clips and pins from (many, many) years ago, but I've had the urge to create some bold and repetitive patterns with bobby pins that would require I paint new ones. 


I recently purchased 300 bobby pins (seen in my Collective Beauty Haul), so I could stand to spare a few for this very simple DIY project.


Polishes Used: Sinful Colors Snow Me White, OPI Red My Fortune Cookie, Wet n Wild Dreamy Poppy, and Essie Tart Deco

What You'll Need:
-Bobby Pins (I used 16, you can paint more or less)
-Nail Polish (I used 4 different shades, again this is up to you)
-Thin Cardboard (to hold your bobby pins securely while painting and to keep the two sides from sticking together)
-Paper (I used this for photo purposes, but it's a good idea to work over a paper towel or a piece of paper to keep your surface free of polish.)

Polishes Used: Sinful Colors Snow Me White, Essie Tart Deco, Wet n Wild Dreamy Poppy, and OPI Red My Fortune Cookie
 
Sorry for using white polish in the pictures. I didn't think about how it would show up in pictures for the DIY; all I was thinking about was how much these bobby pins will pop against my dark hair. :)

How To:
  1. Attatch your bobby pins on the cardboard. I recommend leaving a little space between each one so you don't accidentally bump them against each other.  
  2. Paint a thin coat of polish onto the flat side of the bobby pin as well as the rounded top of the pin; it may be visible when in your hair.
  3. If you need a second coat of polish for a more solid color, wait until the first coat is dry to the touch. You don't want a gloppy mess :)
  4. Allow bobby pins to dry completely before using! I let mine sit over night; I definitely didn't want polish in my hair.

Bobby Pin Tip:
I've panted the flat side of my bobby pin because that's the top side. This is good to know even if your pins are not painted. When the wavy/ ridged side is against your scalp, it works better against your scalp at providing grip in the hair and staying more secure.

 
 The top side of a bobby pin.




What do you think about the colored bobby pin trend? Check back next week -I plan to show different ways to style your hair using these colorful bobby pins. 



6 comments:

  1. Oooo wow ! Lovely idea, might be trying this out :)

    http://beautybysania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do, I'd love to see what colors you pick!

      Delete
  2. Cool idea! I totally thought the top side was the other side. I might try using them the way you suggested and see if it really holds better! Thanks for the info. I had no idea.

    Making It Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful! Your not alone though, a lot of people use them the reverse way. Let me know how it works out for you.

      Delete
  3. Such a simple DIY, but they look awesome! Thanks for posting the idea
    -Kate
    www.bleached-mort.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super simple -just about anyone can do it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.