Monday, March 25, 2013

1 Dress, 6 Ways to Wear It!

I love magazine spreads featuring one article of clothing being styled in many different ways. They get you thinking about different ways you wear your own clothes and provide you with inspiration to get you started. Hopefully that's exactly what this post will do for you, too!

Often times we wear a dress once, then have trouble figuring out a different way to wear it. We get stuck in a style rut, and then we can end up worried about being seen in the same outfit twice when it's something more recognizable than your go-to LBD. You can completely change the look of a dress, make it look unique and different each time you wear it, just by taking a little extra time and doing some brainstorming. I like to start by putting on the dress that I want to wear and then try on different shoes and accessories with it. Just consult the mirror, or a friend, and have fun!


I've styled six different outfits using one lace dress as the constant between them all. You may recognize the lace dress I'm wearing from my Collective Haul post. If you haven't already seen that post from earlier in the month, you can go there for more details about the dress there. While looking at each styled outfit, see if you can notice how I've incorporated some of the tips from my How To Layer post.


Boho-
One of the first things that comes to my mind when I think of lace is a Boho-Chic. Add some of your favorite textured accessories and comfortable boots or sandals

MissChievous Lace Dress, Red Flower Earrings, Forever21 Red Suede Braided Bracelet, Lucky Brand Belt, Fossil Brown Leather Bag, Bongo Boots
 
Glam-
When you want to dress up an outfit look for some sparkle! I tend to gravitate towards black, but sparkle comes in all shades.  

MissChievous Lace Dress, White House Black Market Sequins Crop Sweater, Forever21 Black Chandler Earrings, Sequins Elastic Belt, Slim Black Clutch, Nine West Shoes.

Monochromatic-
Depending on the color, a monochromatic outfit can be either bold or subdued. With the case of neutrals, I find it's the latter. 

MissChievous Lace Dress, CZ Studs Earrings, New York & Co Beaded Necklace, Coach Leather Purse, Nine West Nude Pumps

Feminine-
Girly touches are always a great standby when you're stuck for ideas. Add a sash or wide ribbon, and tie it into a bow instead of using a belt. 

MissChievous Lace Dress, Juicy Couture Flower Earrings, CZ Necklace, Fossil CZ Link Bracelet, Pink Sash, Nine West Clutch, Nine West Floral Heals

Sophisticated-
Simply adding a blazer and wearing the right shoes can make any outfit look more sophisticated. If wearing a dress to work, just be sure that it's an appropriate length. 

MissChievous Lace Dress, Von Mozart Crop Blazer, Black Beaded Earrings, Black Beaded Necklace, New York & Co Skinny Black Belt, Coach Black Leather Purse, Nine West Black Peep Toe Wedges.

Casual-
What do you pair with jeans and a tee? Pair that with a dress. For me, that means flip flops and some cute jewelry, but it may mean something different for you. 

MissChievous Lace Dress, Turquoise earrings, Forever21 Turquoise Necklace, Fossil Stella Watch, Turquoise Bracelet, Brown Belt, Fossil Brown Leather Bag, Rainbow Flip Flops


Which was your favorite way I wore the dress? Let me know in the comments below! 

17 comments:

  1. Feminine and sophisticated were my faves. Then glam and monochromatic. You looked great all 6 ways, though! Kudos on fun ways to change up an outfit. (Which is timely help since I just bought this somewhat impractical dress that I LOVE and will need to think of ways to wear it that dress it up or down. So this post gave me some good starting points. What a fun coincidence!)

    I love that pink bow belt. Do you buy ribbon and make your own or is that supposed to be a belt? (In either case, where can one find good stuff?)

    Speaking of belts-- what a difference a belt can make!!! I'm currently in the market for belts-- do you have any buying tips on belts? For instance, any must-haves if I only want to get 2 or 3 to start off? Thin? Fat? Plain? Sparkly? Etc. I know you're a fan of Target & Forever21-- do you buy lots of belts there? How much should I expect to pay for a standard belt? (I was at Loft yesterday and their stock of plain-ish styles was limited. They all seemed to average for $25-$40, too, which seemed like a lot for a strip of leather or elastic. Am I just out of touch?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found this helpful!

      The pink bow was actually borrowed from another dress, but you could use a wide ribbon (purchased at a craft store) or you could make one like mine by taking a long scrap of fabric (or buying fabric specifically for this). You would just need to cut it to the desired length and make it slightly more than double the desired width. Then fold it so right sides are together and sew up one short side and the long side, turn it right side out and close up the remaining short end. It's easy, I've made one before.

      As for belts, Forever21 is great for trendy belts. However, I really like New York & Co's belts they have belts that fit with the current styles and they have standard belts too. They are usually buy one get one 50% off or on sale/clearance. I have quite a few from them. Actually check out their selection now they have several basics to choose from around $10 NY&Co Belts I would have had more if I had learned my lesson to buy the ones I liked as soon as I saw them because the belts always sell out so fast. It's funny you mention Target though. I was drooling over belts there the other day! There were hundreds! The belts I usually go after are $15-$25, on sale around $10. I hate spending a bunch of money on belts- especially when there's jewelry and shoes still left to buy in this world!

      This was longer than intended.

      Delete
  2. I love that you've done this. Gives some great ideas on how to wear the same dress to different events. I always get stuck going for one look. Thanks for these ideas!

    Making It Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have that same problem; so glad that you found this helpful!

      Delete
  3. I love seeing post like this. I absolutely love the Feminine one. I wore a black dress yesterday and didn't want to spend money on a belt, but you def gave me an idea on how I can make a belt now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this helped! I borrow the ribbons and sashes from other dresses all the time and swap them between dresses. If I want a particular color, the craft store is right around the corner and I can buy a spool or yard of ribbon (although not everyone lives so close to a JoAnn's).

      Delete
  4. NICE PICS!! PERFECT LOOK!!
    Do you want to follow eachother?
    I wait for you soon!
    SPRING KISS from Rome Federica
    smartchicdietreadbooksandfly.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Federica; I'm going to check out your blog now!

      Delete
  5. Great ideas. I love how you really stuck to a style for each one. You have 6 whole outfits by just changing the accessories. Great job!

    Your blog is so cute! I am your latest follower on gfc/bloglovin, instagram and pinterest. Hope you can stop by mine and show some love too! ;)

    Brandy
    willbakeforshoes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brandy! I'm already following you back on Instagram (I'm so impressed with your pictures!), I will have to check you out on all the others now too!

      Delete
  6. That dress is soooo pretty! I also love these kinds of posts..i love each of them especially the one with the pink bow. And I love how you still made each your own style. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I will have to do more of these in the future because I had so much fun with it and now I already have ideas in the bank for this dress!

      I think the bow is one of my favorites too; I love bows and how girly I felt in it.

      Delete
  7. Awesome post, especially because I have almost the same dress (mine has lace sleeves). I love all the different ways you styled the dress and I don't really have the favorite. Not a huge fan of the flip flops in the last outfit, but the turquoise jewelry is amazing!

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's funny my mom said the same thing about the flip flops. Men's flip flops aren't the most attractive, but they are just made so much better than women's! These are the shoes I wear on days with lots of walking involved; they have the most arch support out of any of my footwear and my feet never hurt in them. :) Turquoise jewelry is the best isn't it, so beautiful.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! The dress is so beautiful and elegant and you styled it amazingly! <33 You have lovely style hun! :)

    I am running an International Giveaway on my blog and I'd love it if you enter! :))

    XO,
    http://www.rosychicc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank you and I'll go check out your give away now, thanks for the heads up!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.