Monday, February 11, 2013

Valentine's Day Makeup


This Valentine's Day I wanted to do a classic, feminine look; winged eye liner with red lips. I'll show you how easy it is to achieve the symmetrical winged eye using a liquid eye liner with my step by step instructions. Also, there's no need to worry about mixing Valentine's Day and red lips! I'll tell you about the lip color I use that doesn't transfer. 

Products Used: 
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal in Inked in Pink
  • Ulta Eye Shadow in Sweet
  • Ulta Eye Shadow in Pink 
  • Ulta eye shadow in Naked
  • E.L.F. Liquid Eyeliner in Black 
  • Wet n Wild Mega Length Mascara in Black
  • E.L.F. Studio Eyebrow Kit in Medium 
  • Love & Beauty by Forever21 Blush (not named)
  • Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lipcolor in Ultimate Wine

Beginning this look, I applied my foundation, then concealer, and powder where needed. I continued on to complete this feminine look. 


Eyes, The Steps:

Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal in Inked in Pink 

I began with Maybelline Color Tattoo in Inked in Pink from their Metal collection as a base to give my eye shadow added intensity. I recently hauled this in my Drugstore Haul. Using my ring finger, I applied this all on both of my eye lids, from the inner corner to outer corner, and from the lash line to the crease. 

Ulta Eye Shadow in Sweet, Kirkland Signature Flat All Over Eye Brush

Next, I applied a light pink eye shadow to inner half of my eyelid using a flat eye shadow brush. I then used the tip of the brush and ran the shadow along the inner corner of my lower lash line. I used Sweet from Ulta, but feel free to sub this color out for another light, shimmery pink. 

Ulta Eye Shadow in Pink, Kirkland Signature Flat All Over Eye Brush

Using the same brush, I applied a slightly darker pink to the outer half of my eye and crease. The goal of this color is to provide just a slight hint of definition so the lid doesn't look completely flat with only one color. For this, I used Pink by Ulta, but as before, this can be substituted for a medium, shimmery pink. 

Ulta Eye Shadow in Naked, Kirkland Signature Flat All Over Eye Brush

To highlight under my brow, I used the other side of the flat eye shadow brush to apply a matte color, a shade lighter than my skin color. I used Naked, another Ulta eye shadow, for highlighting my brow bone. 
How to: Winged Eyeliner:
  1. Draw a line from the outer corner of your right eye at your desired angle.Tip: It's easier to get a symmetrical look if you follow the natural shape of your eye; I like to follow the line of my lower lash line. Tip: Pay attention to your eye brows when applying liner. Are they raised or relaxed? This will affect the angle of the line; if you raise them when applying to the right eye, do the same when applying to the left eye.
  2. I chose to make my line the length of the E.L.F. liner brush itself. This ensures that the lines on the right and left eyes will be the same. You can make your lines longer or shorter, or if you're not particular about things like this, you can just disregard this step and just... wing it! 
  3. I repeated Steps 1 & 2 on the left eye. If you aren't happy with the angles, now is the time to correct it using a Q-tip with makeup remover or a makeup remover wipe. Trust me, a little line is much easier to adjust. 
  4. Line tight along the right lash line.Tip: I like to start in the middle and work towards the inner corner, so I can build up my fine-line confidence.
  5. Connect the tip of the angled line you created in Step 1 to your lash line. Where you connect it depends on how thick you want your winged liner. I like to start by connecting it close to the angled line. Tip: You can always make it thicker as you go but it's hard to take away the liner once you've drawn it. 
  6. Fill in the triangle created by connecting the angled line to the lash line.
  7. Gradually build up along the lash line until you reach your desired thickness. 
  8. Repeat Steps 4-7 on the left eye. 
  9. Optional: You can add a black eye shadow on top of your liquid liner for a more matte look using a liner brush.


I wanted to fill in my brows before putting on my mascara because sometimes my lashes brush my brows. I used my E.L.F. Studio Eyebrow Kit in Medium. Using the brush that comes with the kit, I applied the wax and then I topped it with the powder. If you haven't already seen it, I've done a full review on the eyebrow kit. 

Wet n Wild Mega Length Mascara

To finish off my eye look, I applied two coats of Wet n Wild Mega Length Mascara to my lashes. I lightly coated my bottom lashes with what was left over on the brush. I like that this mascara gives nice length, but if you add multiple coats it will also add additional volume. Length and volume... what a dream!

Love & Beauty by Forever21 in Pink

Now for the touches of color... I applied a pink blush, a nameless pink blush from Love & Beauty by Forever21, to the apples of my cheeks for a nice flush. 


Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lipcolor in Ultimate Wine 


Top: without gloss, Bottom: with gloss

I wanted bold red lips that I wouldn't have to worry about smudging or transferring. That's a job for Revlon ColorStay! This duel sided lip color locks in the color for an extended period of time and there is no need to worry about marking up your date with red lips; an essential for any Valentine's Day lip color. Ultimate Wine is a red shade with a hint of orange that is ideal for fair skin tones. I first applied the lip color using the doe foot applicator to the top and bottom of my lips without rubbing them together. After they dried completely, I topped it with the gloss using the brush applicator for a shinny glossy finish that looks lushous. 

Have you started to think ahead for your Valentine's Day look? How will you be doing your makeup? Do you have a favorite long-wearing lipstick or lip stain that I should try?

If you haven't already seen it, check out my Valentine's Day outfit for inspiration on your own Valentine's Day look and remember to check back on Wednesday for the hair tutorial for my Valentine's Day look. 


11 comments:

  1. Your eyes look so pretty! xx
    http://prideandpedicure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love your blog name; so clever. I'm going to take a look at it now :)

      Delete
  2. beautiful make up! :)

    www.sunbeamsanddaisydreams.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty makeup :) x

    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I'm gonna check out your blog now, thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny; I'm glad you found it easy to follow!

      Delete
  5. I have found you through the Lauren Conrad website, and I love your blog. Would you like to follow each other. Just leave a comment to let me know.
    My Fashion blog: I'm A Love Addict
    Enter my giveaway Birthday Month Giveaway {International}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found me :) I am browsing through your blog right now and would love to follow you.

      Delete
    2. Your newest gfc follower as Radnjanska

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.