Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Day Hair


Today is the last installment of my four-part Valentine's Day series. I'll be showing you how I did my hair for this holiday date look. If you haven't already seen the three previous posts, be sure to check out how I've done my nails, what I'm wearing, and how I did the feminine makeup for the 14th. 

I wanted a sweet, slightly retro/girly style to go with my feminine makeup, so I opted for a ponytail with curls. If you've seen my other hair tutorials, you know I like to take a basic look and upgrade it (for examples, check out my fishtail braid and braided top knot). Keep reading and I'll go over the steps on how you can achieve this ponytail look. 

How I did it:
Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, Conditioner, and Curl Refiner

I like to begin by "prepping" my hair for styling. I started out with clean hair that I shampooed and conditioned with Redken Fresh Curls. When my hair was still damp, I applied a small amount (nickle-size) of Redken's Fresh Curls Curl Refiner cream. If you'd like more information on these products, check out my NYE Hair post where I go into more detail about them. I allowed my hair to air dry and made sure it was completely dried before moving on. If you're short on time, you can speed things up by using an air defuser. 


Sectioning off the front section of hair and clipping up. 

I sectioned off and clipped up the front part of my hair, from just behind my ears and across the top of my head, but omitting the crown. I curled all the hair in the back of my head first, and then touched up what was needed after the style was nearly complete. For this particular look, the front of my shoulder-length hair is a little too short to reach to the back if I curled it. If you're trying this style with longer hair, you may want to curl all of your hair at the same time. 


Curl your hair.

When curling my hair, I like to work in sections starting from the nape of my neck and then finishing at the top of my head, clipping and dropping hair down as I go along. Using a 1 1/2" curling iron with 1-2 inch partings, I placed the hair between the iron and the clamp at the root of my hair. Begin turning the iron while slowly guiding the hair around it, continuing this movement down to the ends. Repeat this method until all the hair has been curled. Be sure to allow the hair to dry completely before you move onto the next step. 

Instead of gathering all of my curled hair into one heavy ponytail that would weigh down any volume at the crown, I split it into two; a bottom and a top (the crown), and kept them close together. The top ponytail will have volume added from teasing/backcombing while the bottom ponytail holds most of my hair and therefore most of the weight. 


Backcomb/ Tease your hair in one direction down towards the roots. 

I clipped the top (crown) section up and out of the way while I gathered the bottom into a mid-height ponytail. I then un-clipped the top/crown section and, while working with the fine-tooth side of the comb, began to lightly teas that hair. Taking small sections, I gently, but firmly held the hair up and forward, and slid the comb repeatedly down toward the roots (in ONE DIRECTION). Please remember, don't tease your hair by going back and forth, this can cause breakage. Teasing your hair is optional; you can tease it more or less than I did, or not at all. If your hair is heavy and goes flat when wearing it in a ponytail, try dividing it, as I did, to see if it helps you too. 

I used a regular elastic on the bottom section and a clear elastic on the top/crown section. Both ponytails are close together so it wont look like two separate ponytails- don't worry. 
The second picture shows me using a the pick end of the comb to shape the top of my hair, just in case you can't tell. 

Once I had my desired volume, I gently smoothed out the roughness on top by running my brush, at an angle, over it so I wouldn't brush out my backcombing. I then gathered that hair into a small ponytail just above the previous one. I used the tail of a rat-tail comb (or a small pick) to make adjustments to shape, so I could get it just the way I wanted without brushing through it. 


Pull front section back and wrap hair around the ponytails.

To finish off the look, I took down the front section of hair (that hasn't been curled) and parted it where I wanted. Then, I loosely pulled the hair on the right side back; bringing it over my ear, and wrapping it under and around both ponytails. Using a dab of hairspray and two bobby pins, I secured the hair in place. I then repeated this process with the hair on the left side of my head. By wrapping the hair around both ponytails, it conceals that there are two of them, and the elastics as well. 



For my style, i left it just like this, but you could add some hair accessories to make it more girly, fun, and flirty. Try a ribbon around your ponytail or use it as a headband; add a sweet barrette or decorative bobby pins. Make it your own.. the ponytail serves as a perfect canvas for being creative!

I hope this Valentine's Day series gave you some ideas for your holiday look, or for a date night any time of year! Let me know in the comments below what you're planning to do for Valentine's Day!


2 comments:

  1. I started to try the fun eyeliner biz you had going on a few days back when I was doing my makeup for my dinner out tonight. I am inept with the liquid-type liners. I made a complete mess of things (though working from the center outward WAS a helpful tip that I'll continue to use.) Your directions were good; my handiwork was not. haha. Oh well. I'll try again another time.
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just takes practice and some time. I'm still new to liquid liner myself and I only use it when I know I have a little extra time to spend applying my makeup.

      One of the major issues I encountered was my eye lid twitching like crazy while trying to apply it. Not sure what tip I can give myself for that other than get some potassium.

      Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.