Monday, February 18, 2013

Emerald: Color of the Year

In December of last year, Pantone announced their annual color of the year for 2013: Emerald. I'm really excited about this because it's one of my favorite colors. As a May baby, I just could be a little partial to it since it's my birthstone, not to mention, it's so rich and dazzling. I also think it's a flattering shade of green for so many, especially fair skin girls like myself. 


Top Row (Left to Right): ModCloth You and Me Forever Dress in Green; $59.99, ModCloth Tangled Up in Green; $34.99, Stella & Dot Pippa Necklace in Green: $69, Target Xhilaration Peplum Lace Top in Kelly Green; $19.99.
Middle Row (Left to Right): Stella & Dot Serenity Stone Drops earrings in Green; $49, Stella & Dot Julep Bangle Bracelet in Green; $19, Target Mossimo Viveca Blingy Heal in Emerald; $28.04.
Bottom Row (Left to Right): Target Merona Bella Genuine Leather Cap Toe Flat in Kelly Green; $34.99, Target Mossimo Single Perforated Belt in Teal; $14.99, Stella & Dot Suzanne Cocktail Ring; $39. 

I've been searching in stores, but I haven't seen a lot of emerald items yet, so I've gone online to start my wishlist. I believe I've come across some great finds, so I've assembled a collage of my most wanted items to share with you. Now I just need to budget for a shopping spree :) 

I don't usually have difficulty finding jewelry I like, but I found lots from Stella & Dot. I love the Pippa necklace with the various geometric shapes and even a little Celtic knot for added detail and charm. Their Serenity Stone Drop earrings look beautiful and versatile too; they could be worn with a casual look or to dress up an outfit. I really love the bamboo inspired Julep bangle and I especially like the price. Lastly, their Suzanne cocktail ring is so pretty; it's sparkly with all of the cz stones surrounding a green glass center. 

From ModCloth, I found a dress that I'm sure would be very figure-flattering. It doesn't appear to be too short, hitting near the knees, rather than at a fuller part of the leg. I also love that how the dress ties at the waist to accentuate the figure, while the butterfly sleeves enhance the flowing look. Another figure flattering item from ModCloth would be their Tangled Up top with a fabric belt that can be tied into a bow for detailing at the waist. I also really like the white neckline and the look of quality fabric used.

This inspiration board wouldn't be complete without a couple pieces from Target! Continuing with the feminine lines for clothing, I found this peplum lace top that I think is adorable. For shoes, I couldn't choose just one (I seem to have challenges with that), so I decided to give two options. The first: for the heal lovers out there, these pointy cap toe heals are sharp. I love the contrast that the silver brings to the deepness of the emerald. The second: for those of you who adore flats, these leather, cap toe flats are available for you to consider. Lastly, I've included a belt because I love wearing one to add a pop of color to an outfit. This one is great! There are so many holes it can adjust to fit different needs; you could wear it at your hips with pants or over a dress, top, or sweater at your waist. 



I recently came across a beautiful Cole Haan leather cross body bag that I have listed on eBay. I think items like this are a great way to incorporate this luxurious color into your wardrobe to use, day or night, throughout the year. Like any pop of color, you can pair it with neutrals to really let the color stand out, go for a more daring look by mixing it with other bold colors, or opt to use it in a monochromatic color scheme. 

Clockwise from top left: E.L.F. Studio Pigment Eyeshadow in Mystic Moss (shadow brush included!); $3, Maybelline Eye Studio Color Explosion Eye Shadow in Forest Fury; $10.99, Maybelline Color Tattoo in Edgy Emerald; $6.99, BH Cosmetics Eye Crayon in Huntress; $4, BH Cosmetics Gel Eyeliner in Forest; $3.50.

Pictured above are some eye products that have peaked my interest and are available in stores now. Emerald green tones look great with all eye colors, so this is a color trend that everyone can try out. Naturally, it really makes green and hazel eyes pop by drawing out the green tones in the iris. It makes brown eyes become deeper and more intense, and lastly, blue eyes look great with green because blue and green are analogous colors (next to each other on the color wheel). 

Sephora Pantone Collection hits stores March 2013

Sephora has announced, after teaming up with Pantone, that they'll be releasing an emerald collection, which will be available in stores and online in March, 2013. I recently read about this upcoming collection in an article by Glasglow Skinner at Lucky Magazine onlineThe collection will include eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, lip products and even nail polish. Check out their article for more pictures and prices of the products in the upcoming Sephora Pantone collection. 

How do you feel about the 2013 Color of the Year? Have you had any luck finding emerald items? I'd love to hear which stores you've had success in your search!








4 comments:

  1. Love that Tangled Up top--so cute!
    We were at Target last night so I kept my eyes peeled for Emerald stuff. I didn't see too many emerald clothes, but they did have a few purses in the shade. Also, I saw a cute pair of canvas wedges for 29.99 (though they were listed as 'turquoise' despite CLEARLY being emerald.) I tried them on and they looked good (I love a wedge) but I feel like I wouldn't pair them with lots of things and they'd just end up sitting in my closet. (They also had the shoe in black, red, and beige-- I found the beige the most versatile and probs would have bought them in that hue if I'd gotten them.) I showed them to my husband and asked what he thought. He said, "In that color? Um, no." I said, "I'll have you know that emerald has been named the color of the year!" Haha. Classic! But still, I'll keep looking for one or two staple pieces for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Guys... well maybe you could look for a top or dress instead, I'm sure he could get behind that. My Target seems to get everything a little late; I was in last week and they didn't have any of the new stuff yet. I'll have to keep checking back. They still have a bunch of winter shoes but nothing for the spring and summer yet which I find funny considering the location. Wait I take that back, we have a whole wall of flip flops year round.

      Delete
  2. Here's the link to that shoe I referenced above (I think!)
    It's the Women's Merona Marguerite Closed Wedge Canvas Espadrille in turquoise. (It does look more blue in this online picture, but having tried the shoe on at the store, it's for sure more green than blue. It's def emerald in hue.)

    http://www.target.com/p/women-s-merona-marguerite-closed-wedge-canvas-espadrille-turquoise/-/A-14300046#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo those are cute! They do look a bit blue but I believe you, sometimes the colors in the pictures are a little off. The neutral color is nice in those and would go with just about everything!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.