Monday, January 14, 2013

Fishtail Braid Tutorial



I have a few go-to hair styles that I repeat regularly. They have earned their “go-to” status because they’re so quick and easy; I can arrange my hair without having to give it much thought or even effort. One of these styles is the side braid. While it’s definitely a convenient style, it looks more pulled together than a simple ponytail. I usually go with a traditional three strand braid; it's just so fast. However, when I have a few extra minutes, I like to spice things up a bit and do a fishtail braid. It's much easier than it may seem and comes together relatively quickly. Oh, and it looks cool too!



What I used:
  • A bobby pin 
  • A clear elastic
  • A hair tie/ elastic

How to:
Side part, Clear elastic 

I start by parting my hair on the side and sweeping all of my hair to side opposite the part (see picture above). I gathered my hair and used a clear elastic to secure it into a low pony tail. I don't double loop the elastic; it will make it easier to remove later when I’m done braiding. You can secure the elastic by double looping it if you would like to leave it in your hair when done braiding.


1. Split the ponytail into two equal parts. 
2. Gather a piece from the utmost side of the first section (closest to your face). 
3. & 4. Bring the piece over that first section and add it to the second section (further from your face).
5. Then, take a piece from the utmost side of the second section.
6. & 7. Bring it over that section and add it to the first section.
8.Continue this process until you reach the ends. 

It's best to be consistent with the size of the pieces that you’re picking up from both sections, but there’s no rule to how big or small your pieces need to be. If you’re looking for a fine detailed and more polished fishtail braid, you’ll want to pick up small sections. Just be warned, taking smaller sections will take longer to complete the braid. However, if you’re looking for something more relaxed or you’re short on time, gather pieces that are a little bit bigger to make your braid. Play with it; see what you like best. I like to change up the size of the pieces I use depending on the look that I'm going for. With my braid today, picked up slightly larger pieces for a loose, laid-back look. 

Fishtail braid, Black hair tie, Removing clear elastic 

After you have reached the end of your braid, secure using a hair tie. Once secured, I like to remove the clear elastic placed at the start of the braid. You can cut the elastic to remove, but I prefer to stretch it over the braid (shown above). I don't want to risk accidentally cutting my hair.

Adding some volume to my braid

After the clear elastic has been removed, I like to gently pull the braid outward to add volume to the braid. 

Bobby pin

To finish off the look, I pin back part of my hair that’s loose in front of my face. I simply gather part of the sag, swoop it back, and using a bobby pin, pin it back behind my ear. This is personal preference and may vary depending on hair length/ layers/ bangs. You could also use a barrette or headband to add additional interest to the style. 


At this point you could add hair spray for extra hold. I didn’t use any spray since I was going for a more laid-back look and wanted my hair to have movement throughout the day. 

What is your “go-to” hair style?

4 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I love fishtail braids, they just look a lot more interesting than normal braids. They are very easy to do as well, it just takes some practice. :)

    http://mystylediaryblogspot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think they are really easy and once you get into the swing of it from doing it a few times it becomes second nature.

      Delete
  2. the braid looks great! can't wait to try :D

    http://classypyt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really simple once you get into the swing of it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.