Monday, January 28, 2013

Drugstore Makeup Haul

I receive an insane amount of solicitation emails from stores and companies updating me on current sales and promotions: constantly being bombarded with temptations for my favorite products and stores, even offering me coupons to lure me in to spend more money on their products. I know, it's my own fault. I've brought this upon myself by giving out my email address, but I figure, if I'm already shopping there, I may as well get the deals. Right? My inbox can either be dangerous or delightful; it just depends on how I choose to look at it.



I've been pretty good about eliminating emails lately (that's code for sending them to the trash). One that I did hang on to was an email from Ulta promoting a buy one get one 50% off sale on Maybelline and L'Oreal products. They also had their usual $3.50 off a $10 purchase or $10 off a $60 purchase coupons. Alright, they got me! I had a few items from both makeup brands on my wishlist (the one I keep in my head), so I headed into the store while out with my mom over the weekend. 

Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze 


Maybelline Color Tattoo in Inked in Pink

First on my list: Maybelline's Color Tattoo cream eye shadow. Let me just say, I love these shadows because they stay put all day! Previous to this trip to Ulta, I had two shades, Tough as Taupe and Barely Beige, that have been favorites of mine since I bought them. I've wanted to try out Bad to the Bronze from their Permanent Collection and also Inked in Pink from their Metal Collection. I was lucky to find the last one of each in stock. I've already swatched these on my arm and they didn't transfer or smear; they've stayed put. I must say, they seem to be the creamiest of all my Color Tattoo shadows. I'm not sure if the formula is slightly different with these shades or if it's because they were sitting in front of the window all day (no matter the temperature, the Florida sun is always hot). 


L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow in Amber Rush

Over in the L'Oreal aisle, I was disappointed that Amber Rush and Iced Latte, the two Infallible eye shadow shades I was interested in, were out of stock. Bummer! Then, while I was waiting to pay for my purchase, Hawkeye (AKA, my mom), spotted Amber Rush, out of place, on a display table. Yes! One is better than none. I've swatched this shadow too and I'm really pleased with the color; it's pretty and reminds me of rose gold. This is a loosely pressed shadow, a little goes a long way. I recommend saving the round plastic disk that's packaged with it to keep the shadow pressed and to avoid it becoming a loose mess. This claims to be a long wearing eye shadow, and while I've yet to test it out on my eyelids, its wearing really well on my arm. I've rubbed my fingers against it, and aside from a little bit of shimmer on my finger, the shadow didn't smear, and it stayed put. 


L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes mascara in Blackest Black

This last item I had gone back and forth over for two solid minutes; maybe some of you can relate to my indecisiveness. I had intended to purchase L'Oreal Voluminous mascara (I've heard good things about it for years), but once I began reading the descriptions for other mascaras I wasn't so sure.  Voluminous is designed to give you "5 times the volume" while Voluminous Million Lashes is said to give defined, clump free lashes using a "clean sweep" wiping system. Since I don't like clumping, I ultimately decided to go with the Voluminous Million Lashes. I haven't tried this mascara out yet because I don't like to have too many tubes of mascara open at once, but I can do a review after I've used it.

There was mega savings involved in this trip to Ulta. I had two coupons for $3.50 off a purchase of $10 (one in my email and one on my Key Ring app, mentioned in my What's in my Bag post). With both coupons plus the buy one get one 50% off sale for Maybelline and L'Oreal products, it was as if I received two items free. Not bad, not bad at all. Great deals can be found at Ulta, especially if you're receiving the emails to alert you to them!

Have you tried out any new items from the drugstore or any of the makeup products mentioned above? I'd like to hear about it in the comments. 




15 comments:

  1. Love this mascara,it's amazing.*_*
    Maybe follow each other on BLOGLOVIN and GFC???
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! Now I'm even more excited to try it out.
      I just checked out your blog and I'm following you on GFC and Bloglovin' :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you sooo much for the follow,dear.^^
    Follow you back on gfc and bloglovin #2...and I like your new post at bloglovin.;)
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering how good the mascara is as it looks amazing- but it is just too ridiculously priced here in Australia ($28 for a tube...) so I might wait until there is a great offer. Love the Maybelline Colour Tattoos though, the formulation is creamy and my favourite is Bad to the Bronze :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is expensive! It was originally $8.99 here, before my discounts.

      I am going to use Bad to the Bronze as my shadow tomorrow. I get so excited with new makeup :)

      I see you have a blog, and I'm headed over to check it out now!

      Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete
  4. I'm interested to hear how you like the Bad to the Bronze color. I love new makeup of any kind. I was using only Maybeline Mascara but I recently got Covergirl Lash Blast Fusion and I absolutely Love it! My daughters keep stealing it from me.
    Check out my blog at www.makeitrane.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it. I plan on using it tomorrow and I'll try to remember to take a picture and put it on Instagram (there's an icon of a camera in the upper right corner of the page) so you can see what it looks like on.

      I haven't tried the Lash Blast Fusion yet, only the regular Lash Blast. I loved how it looked on, but it was so hard to take off. Is the Lash Blast Fusion hard to remove?

      I checked out your blog and subscribed! I've already found so many great posts and more that I want to read later when it's not past my bed time :)

      Thanks so much for checking out my blog!

      Delete
    2. I was able to post a picture to instagram today with only Bad to the Bronze on my lid. The lighting has washed me out a bit, but hopefully you can get a good idea. I have to say- I LOVE this! It looks amazing in person :) I'm so thrilled with my purchase and I highly recommend it. I think it would look really great with your coloring.

      Delete
  5. love your blog, following u now!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just checked out your blog and subscribed too! I love your OOTD posts!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I'm gonna go take a peek at your blog now :)

      Delete
  7. Really like these I use a few myself really nice colours x

    http://krystelcouture.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked out your blog, thanks for the visit!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.