Monday, January 21, 2013

Braided Top Knot Tutorial


Last week I did a tutorial on one of my "go-to" hair styles, the fishtail side braidThis week I wanted to do another tutorial on a different "go to" style of mine, the top knot. A top knot is essentially a high bun, but a less perfect version; you really can't mess it up. Like side braid, the top knot's fast, works great on second day hair, and keeps my hair out of my way. The braided top knot is a step up from the regular version and only takes an extra two minutes, three tops. 



What I used:
  • A hair tie/ elastic
  • 2 clear elastics
  • Bobby pins 
Hair tie, clear elastics, bobby pins

How to:
  1. Gather and smooth hair high on the crown of your head.
  2. Put hair into a high ponytail and secured with a hair tie. 
  3. Split ponytail into two (roughly) equal parts. 
  4. Split the first part into 3 sections and braid regularly.
  5. Secure the end of the braid using a clear elastic. 
  6. Repeat steps 4-5 on the second part of hair. 
  7. After both braids are completed, hold one up and wrap the other around in a bun like shape at the base of where the ponytail was secured.
  8. Tuck the end of the braid into the bun you have created.
  9. Secure end of braid to the bun with a bobby pin. 
  10. Use additional bobby pins to secure braid around the bun as needed. 
  11. Wrap the second braid around the bun that the first braid created.
  12. Repeat steps 8-10.
Close up: Front view and Top view 


After the braided top knot has been completed, it can be left as is or you can add hair accessories. I've chosen to add a headband to complete my look, but you may want to add a barrette, flower clip, or hair bow. If you'd like a sleek look, add hair spray to smooth out any flyaway's.

Gray bow headband from Forever21

Do you wear top knots and if so, how do you wear yours?


4 comments:

  1. Great post :) I love playing with my hair! :)
    http://allaboutjoann.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do too, I just cut my hair today (I'll be doing a post on it tomorrow)and I'm looking forward to trying out new styles.

      I'll have to head over to your blog to check out some of your posts!

      Delete
  2. Great, thanks for that tutorial! I'm definitely going to try this hairstyle :)

    x Gi
    alibimag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My hair is now just a tad too short to a do this, but I still love the look.

      I just checked out your blog, love your OOTD's!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.