Friday, December 28, 2012

New Years Eve Makeup Look

When I think of getting ready for holiday parties, I am most excited for my makeup. The holidays are a time when you can be more adventurous, bold, and daring. Don't be afraid to add some drama and definitely don't shy away from glitter!


As promised in my last post, New Year's Eve Party Look, I will be going over my makeup for NYE today. Be sure to check back Monday to find out how I did my hair. I have done a warm, gray smokey eye look with touches of fine glitter to catch the light. Although it may be a little intimidating, I think smokey eyes are an easy look to recreate because you don't have to be super precise; it's okay if it's not perfect. 

To get started, lets go over what products I used. Keep in mind, to recreate this look yourself you don't need to have these exact colors or products. Check your own collection for similar shades or stop by your local drugstore for inexpensive alternatives; all the products I used are drugstore items.

Products Used:
  • Maybelline's Color Tattoo in Tough As Taupe
  • E.L.F. Smokey Eye Edition #10601*
  • E.L.F. Smokey #10601*
  • Wet N' Wild Mega Length Mascara
  • Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara
  • Maybelline's DreamLumi Concealer in Ivory
  • Love & Beauty by Forever21 Blush (doesn't have a color name but it's a pink)
  • Sally Girl Baked Eyeshadow in Pink Icing
  • Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in Fig
  • E.L.F. Super Glossy Lip Shine in Candy Cane

E.L.F. Smokey Eye Edition (9 Shadows and 3 Gel Liners), E.L.F. Smokey (6 Shadows)

Here's what the E.L.F. shadow pallets that I'm using look like. These are both called Smokey and have the same number, but as you can see, they are completely different. I'll show you exactly which shades I'm using in the steps below. 

I normally apply my foundation completely before moving on to my eye makeup, except when I am doing dramatic eyes. I like to work in stages because you can experience fall out (shadow dust) when applying dark shadow. That's why I find it best to apply my liquid foundation first, then move onto the eyes, and finish with the concealer and powder. 

The Steps:
Maybelline Color Tattoo Tough as Taupe

I wanted to start by providing a base for my shadow. I decided to use Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tough as Taupe. Using the tip of my ring finger, I applied this all over my eye lid, except for the inner-most corner. This base will give shadow something to hold on to and the taupe color will also warm up the gray tones a bit, too.

E.L.F. Light Gray Smokey Eye, Kirkland Signature Flat All Over Eye Brush

Next, I applied a light gray shade all over my lid using a flat eye shadow brush. I like to apply it by patting it on because it gives a more concentrated color. 

E.L.F. Medium Gray Smokey Eye, Kirkland Signature Flat All Over Eye Brush

Focusing on my outer corner, or outer "V", I then applied a dark gray shade to my eyelid. I also work this in along my lash line to create a smoky effect. I used the same brush as before, but I flipped it over. This is a great trick if you don't have a ton of brushes, just be sure to remember which side you used for which color. Another thing to remember is that you can always add more, that's easy, it's subtracting that can be tricky. 


Kirkland Signature Blending Crease Brush 

To blend this color out, I used a large fluffy brush and worked in circular motions. This will help to make the colors look like they just naturally changed from one shade to the next; you won't see harsh lines. 

E.L.F. Sparkly Black Smoky Shadow, Rite Aid Liner Brush

Close up of the black shadow liner

I want to add a bit of sparkle to my look and decided on this glittery black eye shadow. By applying it dry using a liner brush I defined my eye with a softer line. This shadow is very pigmented; a little goes a long way. I ran the brush along my upper lash line 3/4ths of the way in and also along my bottom lash line but only a 1/4 of the way in. To create a slight winged liner effect, I extended the bottom lash line up and connected it with the top lash line. The two lines will meet at an angle, forming a winged eye. This defines the eye, makes my lashes appear fuller, and also adds a bit more drama. 

E.L.F. Sparkly White Shadow, Kirkland Signature Blending Brush

Although this is a smokey eye, I didn't want my eyes looking too dark, so I added a touch of white that has a hint of shimmer to finish off my shadow. I applied the white by dusting it with a fluffy blending brush into the inner corner of my eye and also to the brow bone, just under the arch. You'll want to blend out to create more of a highlighted effect and less of a stark white spot on the brow bone. 


Bibo Angle Brush

I like to fill in my eye brows, so I'm using a brown shadow and an angled brush to define them. 

Wet N' Wild Mega Length Mascara, Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara


Close up of my mascara

The next step is what I consider to be the most important; mascara! I never leave home without it. I decided not to wear false eye lashes, instead, I layered my mascaras to create a bolder look. I started with one coat of Wet n' Wild Mega Length Mascara and then followed up with one coat of Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara. 


Maybelline DreamLumi Concealer in Ivory, applied in triangles under my eyes, be sure to blend!

After my eyes were compete, I did any concealing that I needed to. I focused my attention under my eyes because I wanted to hide dark circles. You can use your favorite concealer for this, but I decided to go with Maybelline's DreamLumi Concealer. When going with a smokey look, it's best to take the time to cancel out any darkness under the eyes so you don't look like you have a black eye. I finished off my foundation process by applying pressed powder so that my foundation and concealer would have staying power. I wouldn't want to worry about having a makeup meltdown because I stayed out too late.

Love & Beauty by Forever21 Blush in Pink, Sally Girl Baked Eyeshadow in Pink Icing

I added a touch of blush to the apples of my cheeks. I wanted a hint of pink so I went with one I picked up from Forever21. For highlighter and a bit more shimmer and glow, I used Sally Girl Baked Eyeshadow in Pink Icing and dusted it along my cheek bones. 

Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in Fig, for some reason the color didn't photograph as dark as it looks in real life

As for my lips, I wanted something with color but without being sticky, just in case there's a New Year's Eve kiss in my future. I decided on Burt's Bee's Lip Shimmer in Fig. It's moisturizing and smells nice too!


E.L.F. Super Glossy Lip Shine in Candy Cane on top of Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in Fig, again, the color didn't photograph as dark as it actually is

I just got some new lip glosses by E.L.F. for Christmas. Now, for those of you who like lip gloss, in the picture I'm wearing a glittery red called Candy Cane, over my Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer. This definitely adds a festive flare.

Will you be wearing something on your lips that just looks great or that is also super kissable this NYE?


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful look! The lip combo really compliments you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After looking at the picture again, I really should start wearing that lip gloss more often :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.