Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Holly Jolly Holiday Tag 2


I've been seeing a lot of holiday tag videos on YouTube lately. One of my favorites that has helped get me excited for the Christmas season is the Holly Jolly Holiday Tag 2. This tag was started last year (Holly Jolly Holiday Tag) by beautybaby44 and strawverryelectric48 and they came out with a new tag for the 2012 holiday season (Tag 2). 

This year I won't be home with my parents for Christmas. However, my mom is in town this week and we have decided to have an early Christmas celebration before she goes back home. To help get my head in the game I thought, "what better way than to do the Holly Jolly Holiday Tag 2 today!" Feel free to answer these questions too.


1. Do you start your Christmas shopping on Black Friday or wait until the last minute?

If you've read my previous posts, you know that I didn't go out on Black Friday. That said, I usually start shopping before then. I like to keep my eye open for gifts for friends and family so, I start buying sooner rather than later. That also gives me time to package and mail the gifts to those that I wont get to see. 


2. If you could be in any Christmas movie what would it be?


One of my favorite Christmas movies is The Christmas Story, but I wouldn't want to end up with my tongue stuck to a poll or shooting my eye out. Therefore, I will go with Elf, 'cause "the best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear." 


3. Which do you like better: Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?


Christmas Day! I hate surprises when I know about them, so all the presents under the tree on Christmas Eve feels like pure torture for me. Christmas day marks the end to all of the "I got you something, but I can't tell you what it is." Aside from the gifts, that's the day my family gets together. We have a delicious breakfast and a wonderful ham dinner. Neighbors and extended family drop in throughout the day for desert. So it's okay to indulge all day long because it would be rude to not have a treat with your guests, right? 


4. When does your family put up your Christmas tree and who decorates it? 


We never had a set time that the tree went up, just whenever we had the time for it. My dad gets the decorations down from storage. My mom use to decorate the tree when my brother and I were younger, but I have taken over for her and done the decorating for many years now. I recruit my dad to help me set the tree up because it's a huge three piece artificial tree that I can't piece together on my own, not without loosing a finger. After that I'm the lone elf. 


5. White lights or colored lights?


White lights. They are just so beautiful and magical and I love them! 


6. Are you guilty of peeking at your presents or do you like the surprise?


No comment! Okay, so I use to peak, and I think I've confessed this to my parents, if not... they will know now. I use to be a bit of a professional at peeking when I was little, but I don't do it anymore. I'd carefully unwrap the gift, see what it was, re-wrap it, and make sure the tape went back in just the right spot. I had to get my brother involved because it was a very timely process. He always knew I was up to something, so I'd have to open some of his gifts too so he couldn't tell on me. 


7. Would you rather live in a gingerbread house or in Santa's Workshop?


This is a tough one. My gut says gingerbread house. I could eat sweets all the time, but I would literary eat myself out of house and home. Therefore, I will have to go with Santa's Workshop. I think that would be fun. I love building things and it would be great to know that I'm making toys for children. 


8. Tell us your Christmas Eve traditions!


We never really had Christmas Eve traditions, at least none that we have done every year without fail. When I was little we would leave out milk and cookies for Santa and celery and carrots for his reindeer. I also remember my mom reading The Night Before Christmas at bed time. Every year I try to get my parents to allow us to open one gift before bed; it works sometimes. 


9. If you could be under the mistletoe with anyone who would it be?


I've never stood under mistletoe (past the age of 10). I don't foresee it happening in the near future, so I don't really need to worry about trying to come up with an answer for this. 



From left: My parents Christmas tree, My palm Christmas tree

10. What tops your tree?

We always top our tree with an angel. At my place this year I don't have a traditional Christmas tree (somehow, it was lost in the move). Instead I've lit and decorated a palm tree. There is no topper on my tree, just not a possibility for the palm. 


11. Can you name the 12 days of Christmas?


I will try this without cheating. 

  • 1st day of Christmas- a partridge in a pear tree.
  • 2nd day of Christmas- 2 turtle doves
  • 3rd day of Christmas- 3 french hens
  • 4th day of Christmas- 4 type of birds
  • 5th day of Christmas- 5 golden rings
  • 6th day of Christmas- 6 geese a laying
  • 7th day of Christmas- 7 swans a swimming
  • 8th day of Christmas- 8 maids a milking
  • 9th day of Christmas- 9 ladies dancing or pipers piping
  • 10th day of Christmas- 10 lords a leaping 
  • 11th day of Christmas- 11 pipers piping or ladies dancing
  • 12th day of Christmas- 12 drummers drumming

Time to check my work:
Oh! It's 'Calling birds'! Well... I think I should get partial credit for knowing they were birds. As for 9 and 11, I wasn't sure which was the ladies dancing or the pipers piping, as you can see. I think if I were still in school, having two answers marked down wouldn't work. 


12. Have you ever gone Christmas caroling?


I use to go caroling when I was younger. I remember going to sing to the elderly at nursing facilities. 


13. Do you countdown to Christmas? If so, how many days are left?


I don't have a advent calendar. When I use to get the ones that would have little chocolates behind the doors. I use to also make a chain out of red and green construction paper and each day I would get to tear off a link. There was something so satisfying about that and I'm sure it was great for my parents because I didn't have to ask them "how many more days 'till Christmas?", I could just obsessively count my links! Oh and there are 13 more days until Christmas day. 


14. What are some foods and treats you can count on having every holiday season?


Normally, my family has ham for Christmas dinner every year. That's always something that I've been able to count on along with pineapple stuffing to accompany it. As for treats, the holidays have never been lacking in treats at my house. I could always count on Christmas cookies, pies, cheesecake, brownies, fudge, and home made chocolate candies. Unfortunately, I am on a strict diet due to medical reasons and won't be able to indulge in any of those things this holiday season, so I guess it's a good thing that I won't be going to my parent's house. 


15. How has Christmas kept its magic for you as you've grown older?


For me, as I've grown older, I realize that the magic of Christmas comes more from giving to others than receiving. I get so excited to give gifts to those I love, and also, gifts that I donate to those less fortunate. It brings me joy.



I hope all of you are enjoying the holiday season so far and get to spend time with friends and family! At times, it can at times become stressful in the weeks and days leading up to Christmas. Just remember what the holiday is really about, and hopefully it will help to keep things in perspective, and help you all to have a very merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.