Monday, December 10, 2012

DIY Bow Bracelet

DIY Bow Bracelet
I enjoy crafting and I love to make my own jewelry. I came across this Bow Bracelet on Pinterest and thought, 'I must make that... now!' From the pinned picture, I thought it looked fairly simple to make, so I decided I'd give it a shot. If you'd like to see the original post and pictures for the inspiration for my own DIY Bow Bracelet, check out the The Quiet Lion. Keep reading if you'd like to find out how I made mine.

What you will need

Tools
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wire cutters
  • Scissors
  • Paint brush

Supplies:
  • Chain (any metal/type/size you prefer)
  • Clasp with jump rings
  • Ribbon
  • Glue (I used a decoupage glue)
Time:
  • An hour should do. I didn't keep track of time and didn't have the TV on to help gauge how long it took, but I'd be willing to bet it was well under an hour. 

Technically, this bracelet did cost me money, but I already had all the supplies on hand from previous projects so I didn't have to shell out more cash to make it. That means it was free to make in my book! 

An adorable green with white polka dot ribbon was used to make the bow in The Quiet Lion's post. Although I do have ribbon that fits that color description, it's a little too narrow for what I wanted. I opted for this pretty berry pink color which happens to remind me of my nails. For reference, this ribbon is 3/8" wide. 

How to make it:


After gathering supplies I got to work on making, what I deemed to be, the perfect bow. I started by cutting one end of the ribbon so it made an inverted "V" shape. I chose to tie my ribbon into a bow before cutting the other end off of the spool. It's entirely up to you if you want to cut your ribbon to length before or after. After the bow was tied and adjusted, I trimmed the other end to make the same inverted "V" shape. For reference, my ribbon was 8" long (untied) and made a 2" wide bow.


To keep the ends from fraying, I used a paint brush to apply a thin line of decoupage glue to both ends of the bow. This type of glue goes on white and dries clear. I also applied a dab of glue to the back side of the bow knot to make sure that it stays secure. This side will be up against your when wearing. The brand of glue I used is Royal Coat, but you may have heard of a popular decoupage brand called Mod Podge.


To determine how long each piece of chain should be, I first needed to decide on the total length of the bracelet. I wanted my bracelet to be about 6 1/2" to 7" long, but the size of this bracelet can be customize to suite your needs; you can make the bow larger or smaller and the chains longer or shorter. With my bow my at 2" wide and the clasp and jump rings at approximately 1/2", I needed an additional 4 1/2". Even though each side would need a little over 2", because the chains are doubled over on both sides of the bow, I just needed to cut two lengths of chain at 4 1/2" each. 


I then strung each chain though its own loop of the bow. Using needle nose pliers, I secured both ends of one chain to a jump ring. With the other chain, I secured both ends to a jump ring that included the clasp.

Once both jump rings were closed the bracelet was complete. All that was left to do admire my work! 


This DIY Bow Bracelet would make a cute gift idea for the holidays. Since they are so quick and easy to make, there is plenty of time to make that happen! The hardest part is deciding what color ribbon to use! 

How do you feel about giving or receiving hand made gifts? 


2 comments:

  1. That IS cute (and love how it, AND your sweater on Friday, matches your nails which are holding up way well, I must say...) and doesn't seem too hard to make, especially with your handy step-by-step directions (with pix--SO helpful! LOVE!) However, despite these pros, I probably won't make my own. However, if Santa brought me one made by you, well, I wouldn't be upset in the least. Just throwin' it out there! ;-) Merry Christmas (I hope? haha)!

    Cheers!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on a bit of a berry color kick this past week. It's funny how that happens. My nails had been holding up really well, only a few minor chips that I had touched up. Then today they all decided to chip beyond repair, so out came the nail polish remover. Also, I'm sure Santa could make a stop by your house!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.