Monday, November 19, 2012

Maybelline Volum' Express One by One Mascara

My tube of Maybelline Volum' Express One by One mascara is on its last leg and I will hate to have to toss it out. This product took some time for me to develop warm fuzzy feelings for, but I eventually grew to love it (with some reservation).

Maybelline Volum' Express One by One Mascara

What initially drew me to the One by One mascara was the packaging. Yes, I admit it, the bright colored packaging got me; I love this coral pink color. One look at it and I thought, I have to have it! I guess it also helped that I trust Maybelline, I enjoy using their other product lines, and oh yeah, the price was right.

I knew I had used Maybelline mascara before but couldn't remember why I hadn't ever repurchased it. The second I opened the tube it all came back to me, they smell… bad! Now, I understand this is debatable. Everyone I’ve talked with about it said they don’t think Maybelline mascaras have a smell, but I knew I wasn’t imagining it. In fact, the smell was so strong to me that every time I used it I ended up with a headache. I decided to search Google to see if anyone out there in the cyber webs had similar complaints and just as I had suspected, I am not alone. There are plenty more people out there that can detect a smell too. While I can’t describe what it smells like, I can say it doesn’t smell like perfume or mascara that has gone bad. Regardless, it's not a good smell. Thankfully, with this particular tube, within a month the smell started to fade and was more tolerable. 

Even though the smell was bothering me, I decided to give it a try because I really wanted to test out the mascara wand and see if it worked the way it said it would. The wand, called the Lash Catcher, was designed to separate each lash while providing volume. It has silicone bristles and a very flexible tip. This has to be the most flexible wand that I’ve ever used and it took some time to adjust to. You could say I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the wand at first because while it wasn’t my favorite, the actual silicone bristles were perfect! They did just what they said they would: they separated my lashes and kept them from clumping together. I was able to achieve my desired look with just one coat of mascara. 

Maybelline One by One: Before and After

The formula of this mascara is great. It gives a curl that holds all day even though my lashes tend to be straight. There’s no need for an eye lash curler with this mascara! The beginning consistency of this formula may bother some people since it did start out a bit wet, more wet than I myself like. I feel it’s very common with brand new mascara to start out this way then, after a few uses, get to the right consistency. That is exactly what happened with this one.

Another thing I really liked was how the mascara had dried in an appropriate amount of time after application. I had enough time to work with it if I needed to, but I never had an issue with it transferring. It never transferred onto my eye lid, onto my fingers when rubbing my eyes, and not even on my pillow case on the rare occasion when I go to bed without removing my makeup first. Even though it didn't budge throughout the day, the washable formula was still easy to remove with a makeup remover or a face wipe at the end of the day. Talk about a win!

Have you ever left the house with mascara only applied to one eye?

I’ve been debating if I will repurchase this mascara. I loved how my lashes looked after applying Maybelline’s One by One mascara. You also wouldn't believe how many complements I receive when wearing it. So why haven't I repurchased already? What’s my hang up? Well, honestly, it’s that smell and the effect it has on me. I don't know if I can justify a month of headaches for awesome lashes. Even as I type it I think, ‘but they look so good, maybe I can suffer in the name of beauty!’

Have any of you tried Maybelline's One by One mascara? If so, what did you think? Specifically, did you think it smelled? J I'd love to hear your recommendations for mascaras. Please let me know which ones are your favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I really appreciate it.

Be sure to check back or subscribe; I do make an effort to reply to comments.